Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chapter Two: The Meet - Agent 465


Chapter 2: The Meet

Agent 465 - 
It had been a bad enough day with out the strange encounter with the crazed Irish women, but for the rest of the week I was miserable.
It started when the bank declined our grocery money. I was in a state of shock, not quiet sure if this was real or not, but when our landlord came and gave us a notice on our apartment I knew what the woman said was true.
Which just made me more angry that she had the nerve to blackmail me, but I had this gut feeling that even if I did go to the meeting, it wouldn’t be the end of it.

“Aunt B!” I hollered as I pulled on my favorite tank top after just getting out of the shower. “I’m going to go out for a couple hours.”
“What are you going to do?” She asked from down the hall as I wriggled into a pair of shorts and shoved my feet into a pair of converse.
“I’m going to meet a friend down in the park.”
“Alright, keep your cell phone on you girl! I’m not kidding I want to be able to check up on you!”
“Yes ma’am!”
I slipped my phone in my back pocket, pulled my favorite baseball cap on and ran out the door.

I took the trolley down to Golden Gate Park and then walked the rest of the way.
Walking through the gardens, I could almost completely forget the reason as to why I was there in the first place. But once I caught sight of the baseball field, my la la land vanished in an instant.
I glanced around but I couldn’t see the redhead woman anywhere. I sighed and walked down to the edge of the diamond and found that I wasn’t alone.
In fact, I just had to be in the one place where the only other person around was an extremely hot guy. Just my luck.
“Hi.”
I would have been completely content to just ignore him and keep on walking, but then he said ‘hi‘. And when a hot guy says ‘hi’ you don’t just keep walking.
“Hey.” I said as calm and collected as I could.
“Come to play a little catch?” He gestured to the bats, gloves and balls in the corner of the dug-out.
I thought that was as good as a reason as any.
“Yup.”
The boy looked at me, and then glanced around, shoving his hands into his cargo shorts.
“With only yourself?”
Ah-huh…there was the fault.
“Well players are welcome.”
Man I felt like such an idiot at the moment.
The boy glanced from me to the gloves in the corner, then back again.
“Then grab a glove.” He stated, as he snatched two up, and tossed one my way.
“Oh seriously?” I asked in shock. “I didn’t think that would actually work.”
He laughed as he smacked the baseball several times in his glove.
“I’m Scout, by the way.” He introduced as he tossed the ball. I reached up and easily caught it.
“Jewel.”
He nodded several times and just as easily caught my throw.
Scout had strait blond hair that hung in his face, his bright brown eyes sparkled as they captured the sunlight. And his cargo shorts and couple day’s old football jersey gave him the look of a beach boy. (Not that there was anything wrong with that.)
“So what’s the real reason you’re here?” He asked.
“How about I ask you?”
He grinned and chucked the ball at me.
“You’ve got some whit, I’ll give you that.”
“Oh yay! I always wanted a stranger to say I had whit. Thank you so much for making my day.” I stated sarcastically.
Scout made a mocking bow and I playfully threw the ball at him while he wasn’t prepared. However, to my surprise he actually caught it.
I mean what kind of guy can catch a baseball flying at his head while he’s bowed and can’t even see the thing!
Apparently this guy.
My eyebrows raised in surprise.
“Wow! Okay now you’re showing off.”
“I see you two are already bonding.”
I jumped, Scout froze and we both turned our gaze from the ball flying toward me, to the red head Irish women standing a few feet away.
The woman was walking towards us, once again dressed in leather despite the fact that it was above eighty degrees.
We both looked at each other as we walked closer. Were we both here because of her?
I could see the same question swimming in his eyes, and at the same time it was answered when the woman stood in front of us.
“Well good, I’m glad I don’t have to make the introductions. You’re both here because we need your help.”
We glanced at each other, eyebrows raised.
“Did they blackmail you too?” I asked the boy. He nodded, and I tried my best not to be too angry at the women. Or at least to let it show.
“So can I ask just how many kids you’ve blackmailed?” I asked the women. She ignored me completely, though Scout seemed to hide a smile.
“You two are here to learn about my agency -”
“You make it sound like we came willingly.” Scout grumbled, causing me to grin.
“The agency is global. The Board of Directors come from more than twelve different countries that will, for the time being, remain nameless.”
I let out a low whistle. Okay so despite the blackmailing, that was impressive seeing as some countries now-a-days would rather blow each other up than be in the same room with each other.
“We have agents in over twenty countries that are there permanitally and we are constantly training more.”
Well that would explain her accent.
The woman paused a moment and bent her head away from us.
Scout glanced at me again, and I just shrugged.
She turned back to us and smiled.
“The Board wishes to speak with you, follow me.”
We were both dazed, but when Scout nudged my arm, we dashed after her.

The lady walked down into the dug-out, and for a second I wanted to ask if the Board were all here to play a friendly game of baseball. But somehow I couldn’t see Russia in a uniform.
The red head walked to the end of the dug-out and stopped in the back corner. I noticed a bat leaning against the back wall, but it was dusty, so it mustn’t have been used in a while, though I have no idea way. It looked like a perfectly fine bat to me.
The women walked up to it and placed her thumb on the top of it. Scout asked what she was doing, but I was one step ahead of him.
“You keep the door to a global top secret agency in a dug-out in San Francisco?” I asked, thinking it was probably one of the most stupidest places to have it.
Though a little more original than a phone box.
The woman just smiled at me as a green light shone from under her thumb.
“Is that a finger print scanner? In a baseball bat?” Scout asked.
“Very good Turner.” She remarked, though I figured he took it as sarcasm.
There was a beep, and she pulled the bat towards herself.
I noticed the bottom of the bat was welded onto a plate that slid back, which was the door handle to the door-sized slab of concrete in front of us.
“No. Freakin’. Way.” I grapped in shock.
“Welcome to the Global Secret Service.” The woman said with pride.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be making good progress. I like the story so far and it keeps my interest, and since I know this is the rough draft I'm taking it for granted that you will add more in to slow it down and set the stasis (scene) better; so we can get more attacted to the characters. I myself write fast and have to go back to fill gaps. I suppose the main reason for that is lack of a firm structure. That's why I deleted Hiatus off my blog, it wasn't going to great. But I've been working on the plot and it will go lots better. I really like this spy story (and the fact that the secret entrance is in a baseball dugout).Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's fun to get insight to what people think of it. But yes it's totally a rough draft. :D hahaha

    ReplyDelete